Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Thursday, September 8, 2011

What to do....What to do !!!

  I sat down, pen in hand, and made my grocery list. I checked it twice, removing all things naughty and replacing them with everything nice. I hurried to the store, brought my treasures home and stowed them away, knowing that my family would shriek in delight with the choices that I had made.
 
Then  IT happened !!!! I looked at my menu plan and thought YUCK, whose idea was all of this? As I looked at the choices again and then outside to the wet, chilly weather we are having, I wanted warm. yummy soups and stews. Not salads, hot dogs and sandwiches that would help me kiss the last of summer goodbye.
 
Mother's Potato Soup
  So I buckled down, looked at the plan and what I had in my pantry. After looking, I found several great ideas to stave off the damp weather.
 
  First up was a big yummy bowl of old fashioned potato soup. The smells and taste of the warm potatoes, celery and onions mixing together took me right back to my mother's kitchen. She would make potato soup when our budget was tight, not that I ever knew that was the cause for such a delicious treat.  The secret that she used to seal in that great potato flavor was to save part of the water that you boil the potato chunks in first. Then she would add the milk, potato water and potatoes, celery and onions all back to a heavy bottomed pan that would allow the flavors to marry but keep the milk from scalding. All I can say is MMMM !!
 
  To add my own little twist on her perfection, I added a few seasoned oyster crackers and once again, another loaf of bread made in my BFF bread machine.

  This evening we had breakfast for dinner. Puffy scrambled eggs with cinnamon glazed smoked sausage, and lemon breakfast bake. It always amazes me how sometimes breakfast tastes so good at dinner. Although I am left to wonder, does this mean we will have to eat pork chops and stuffing for breakfast ?

  So I encourage you to look at your pantry and your current menu plan and see if you are up for the challenge of a change.

As always my fork it at the ready,
Elizabeth

Cinnamon Glazed Smokes Sausage
1 14 ounce skinless smoked sausage ( I use turkey smoked sausage,cheap and healthy)
1/2 cup pancake syrup (sugar free or reduced sugar is fine)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat non stick skillet over medium heat. While pan is heating slice sausage on the angle into bite size pieces. Brown sausages, with lid on. Stir together syrup and cinnamon in a measuring cup. Reduce heat to low and mix syrup in with the browned sausages. Cover and cook on low for additional 3 to 4 minutes.

Lemon Breakfast Bake
1 7.5 ounce can biscuits
1 8 ounce package fat free cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar ( I use Splenda)
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9 x 13 pan with non fat cooking spray. Flatten out biscuits in pan, until they cover entire dish. Place cream cheese, egg whites, sugar and lemon extract in mixer, blend until smooth. Spoon over biscuits bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
Good warm or cold the next day !


 

No comments:

Post a Comment